If you are running the AbacusLaw Workstation installer after AbacusLaw by CARET was updated on the server and the installer does not complete fully, follow the instructions below.
Installer issue symptoms are usually getting stuck at the stage “Copying File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\AMDIAG23.dll”, or the installer appears to complete, but when you launch AbacusLaw by CARET, it still reports: “We‘ve detected that you haven’t yet finalized installation of version XX.XX on this workstation / Do you want to run it now?”.
- Disable Antivirus
- Close Stuck Abacus Accounting Workstation Process
- If Abacus Accounting Workstation Did Not Start
- Fixing a Finalize Setup Loop Manually
The Workstation installer commonly stalls when the antivirus program flags the temporary files that the installer runs as suspicious. Your antivirus software may or may not notify you that it is doing this.
Before trying any other steps, disable your antivirus.
If you do not know how to disable your antivirus, or do not have access to do this, contact your IT or system administrator for assistance. You may also be able to look up the documentation from your antivirus vendor, though some antivirus software is configured for remote management, and cannot be disabled from your workstation.
- If you have an AbacusLaw Workstation installer already running, close it before proceeding. You can do so by holding Ctrl+Shift+Esc, or right-clicking on your taskbar and clicking Task Manager to launch your Task Manager.
- Highlight AbacusLaw by CARET Workstation and click End Task (or press Delete on your keyboard).
- Re-run station.exe from your Abacus\vXX\Programs directory.
If disabling your antivirus did not resolve the issue, or you are unable to disable your antivirus, you may be able to follow the steps below to resolve the issue.
Close Stuck Abacus Accounting Workstation Process
- Hold Ctrl+Shift+Esc, or right-click on your taskbar and click Task Manager, to launch your Task Manager.
- Navigate to the Details tab (Windows 8 or 10) or Processes tab (Windows 7).
- Highlight AMSTATION.EXE (the name may be collapsed to AMSTAT~1.EXE), and click End Task or press Delete on your keyboard.
- AbacusLaw by CARET Workstation should detect that Abacus Accounting Workstation is closed, and finish the final step before closing itself.
If Abacus Accounting Workstation Did Not Start
If AbacusLaw by CARETWorkstation hangs at AMDIAG23.dll, and did not start Abacus Accounting Workstation automatically, follow the steps in the above section (Close Stuck Abacus Accounting Workstation Process.
After this, run AMStation.exe manually. It can be found in the same folder as station.exe (Abacus\vXX\Programs).
Fixing a Finalize Setup Loop Manually
Only try these steps AFTER you have completed the above steps and confirmed that Abacus Accounting Workstation completed (if you have Abacus Accounting installed).
If, after the above steps, AbacusLaw by CARET continues to prompt you to finalize installation, you can follow the below steps to manually set AbacusLaw by CARET to the latest version on your workstation.
The below steps involve editing your Windows Registry. Always be careful when making any registry changes! If you are not comfortable doing this, seek assistance from your IT or system administrator.
- Open your start menu. In the search bar, type regedit.
- The Registry Editor opens. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Abacus Data Systems\v23\Station. If you are running a 32-bit edition of Windows, the path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Abacus Data Systems\v23\Station.
- If any of the registry keys (folders) in the path specified above do not exist, right-click, then navigate to New > Key, to create a new key for each folder, ensuring that they are named the same as they are in the path specified above.
- There should be a value named StationVersion in the Station registry key. If there is not one, create it by right-clicking inside the right-hand pane, and navigating to New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Double-click StationVersion. Change Base to Decimal.
- Change the Value data to the appropriate value for your version of AbacusLaw by CARET.
This value cannot be easily ascertained from the version number of AbacusLaw by CARET. To verify what value needs to be entered here, check the StationVersion value in the registry on the server, or on another workstation where the workstation installer completed successfully.