If you are running the AbacusLaw Workstation installer (e.g. after AbacusLaw was updated on the server), and the installer does not complete fully, follow the instructions below. The main ways that installer issue manifests are either getting stuck at the stage “Copying File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\AMDIAG23.dll”, or the installer appears to complete, but when you launch AbacusLaw, it still reports: “We‘ve detected that you haven’t yet finalized installation of version XX.XX on this workstation / Do you want to run it now?”.
- Disable Antivirus
- Close Stuck AbacusLaw Accounting Workstation Process
- If AbacusLaw Accounting Workstation Did Not Start
- Fixing a Finalize Setup Loop Manually
The most common cause of issues where the workstation installer stalls are antivirus programs flagging the temporary files that the installer runs as suspicious. Your antivirus software may or may not notify you that it is doing this.
- Before trying any other steps, disable your antivirus.
If you do not know how to disable your antivirus, or do not have access to, contact your IT or system administrator for assistance. You may also be able to look up the documentation from your antivirus vendor, though some antivirus software are configured for remote management, and cannot be disabled from your workstation.
- If you have an AbacusLaw Workstation installer already running, close it before proceeding. You can do so by holding Ctrl & Shfit & Esc, or right-clicking on your taskbar, and clicking Task Manager, to launch your Task Manager.
- Highlight AbacusLaw Workstation, and click End Task (or press Delete on your keyboard).
- Re-run station.exe from your Abacus\vXX\Programs directory.
If disabling your antivirus did not resolve the issue, or you are unable to disable your antivirus, you may be able to follow the steps below to resolve the issue.
Close Stuck AbacusLaw Accounting Workstation Process
- Hold Ctrl & Shfit & Esc, or right-click on your taskbar, and click Task Manager, to launch your Task Manager.
- Navigate to the Details tab (Windows 8 or 10) or Processes tab (Windows 7).
- Highlight AMSTATION.EXE (the name may be collapsed to AMSTAT~1.EXE), and click End Task, or press Delete on your keyboard.
- AbacusLaw Workstation should detect that Accounting Workstation is closed, and finish the final step before closing itself.
If AbacusLaw Accounting Workstation Did Not Start
If AbacusLaw Workstation hangs at AMDIAG23.dll, and did not start AbacusLaw Accounting Workstation automatically, follow the steps in the above section (Close Stuck AbacusLaw Accounting Workstation Process).
After this, run AMStation.exe manually. It can be found in the same folder as station.exe (Abacus\vXX\Programs).
Fixing a Finalize Setup Loop Manually
Only try these steps AFTER you have complete the above steps, and confirmed that AbacusLaw Accounting Workstation completed (if you have Abacus Accounting installed).
If, after the above steps, AbacusLaw continues to prompt you to finalize installation, you can follow the below steps to manually set Abacus to the latest version on your workstation.
The below steps involve editing your Windows Registry. Always be careful when making any registry changes! If you are not comfortable doing this, seek assistance from your IT or system administrator.
- Open your start menu. In the search bar, type regedit.
- This will open the Registry Editor. In the window that appears, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Abacus Data Systems\v23\Station (if you are running a 32-bit edition of Windows, the path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Abacus Data Systems\v23\Station).
- If any of the registry keys (folders) in the path specified above do not exist, right-click, then navigate to New > Key, to create a new key for each folder, ensuring that they are named the same as they are in the path specified above.
- There should be a value named StationVersion in the Station registry key. If there is not one, create it by right-clicking inside the right-hand pane, and navigating to New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Double-click on StationVersion. Change Base to Decimal.
- Change the Value data to the appropriate value for your version of AbacusLaw.
This value cannot be easily ascertained from the version number of Abacus. To verify what value needs to be entered here, check the StationVersion value in the registry on the server, or on another workstation where the workstation installer completed successfully.