This feature should be used for any situation where client funds in operating need to be transferred elsewhere (such as trust), not just when the money is being refunded to the client.
How to issue a refund using the refund feature in Abacus Accounting. This is available in Abacus Accounting version 23.8.13A and newer.
For a video demonstration of these features, please view this video
- Go to Billing > Refund to Client.
- Click Add in the upper-right.
- Enter or select the Matter number.
- Select a Payee (whom to make the check out to).
- Enter the Amount to refund.
- Enter a description.
- Select the Breakout tab.
- Distribute where the refund money should come out of.
- Select the Fee Distribution tab.
- If you have removed from fees in step 8 you will need to remove that amount from a timekeeper
- Click Done.
- Highlight the entry in the window.
- Click Post. Then click Done to close the window.
- Go to A/P > Print A/P Checks > Check Selection tab.
- Highlight the item posted from step 13.
- Under Print Options, set it to ATM/Electronic Payments, if you will not be writing a check for the payment (it will not use a check number with this selection), or set it to Post Only, Do not print checks if you will be writing a check, but do not want to print it through Abacus Accounting.
- Click Print.
- Deleting the A/P Check in this screen will undo the refund entry in the Matter Billing Activity.
- Select your printer.
- Verify the information listed and click Print.