Creating a new database
- Go to File>New Database>None
- This will create an entirely new and blank database without any Abacus data, users.
- Using this option will create a new database as if it was a new installation of Abacus.
Creating a copy of an existing database
- File>New Database>Select files from current Database
- This will create a new database based on the information that you choose from the currently open database.
- For Example: If the firm needs to create a new database for a particular type of Law and wants to bring over all of the Forms, Rules, and Codes but none of the existing client data.
Creating a prospects databases
With prospect management, you can now maintain information about prospects (or potential clients) in an independent data directory separate from your primary client data. When a prospect is ready to become a client, you can quickly move the prospect record (and all related data) into the main client database. Fundamentally, you create a special relationship between two data directories, referred to descriptively as “prospects” and “primary”, so data can flow from one into the other.
- From the primary database, you can link a secondary database for Prospective Clients.
- From the primary database navigate to File>Link Directory, then click add
- Choose the Database
- Set the “Flow database type” to Prospects
- The final window should show the path to the new directory and the Flow Type as Prospects
- When you open the new database, it should be formatted with the Prospects background and only have the data that was selected to be carried over from the main database.
How to promote prospects
- To prompt Prospects to the main database is done by opening the Names browse and selecting the matter. From there either:
- Select Promote Prospect from the Actions menu at the bottom of the window or
- Right Click on the Name and Select Promote Prospect
- Select “Yes” and the Prospect will be added as a Client to the Main Database.
Creating icons for new databases
- From the desktop Right Click on the Abacus icon>Create Shortcut.
- Right Click on the new Shortcut icon>Properties>Change Start in Path from Data01 to the new Database number such as Data02, then select Apply.
- Right Click>Rename>Rename this desktop icon to differentiate from the main database link