This error will appear when attempting to start the Advantage Database Server (ADS) service through the Advantage Configuration Utility on the AbacusLaw server. It occurs when another instance of the Advantage Database Server that uses the same serial number and validation code is currently running on the same local area network (LAN).
This error typically occurs in one of these situations:
- After a server migration (moving AbacusLaw to a different server), where the old server is still running.
- If a server previously used by AbacusLaw that is not normally turned on was turned on recently.
- If a user tried to update AbacusLaw by running the VXXCD.exe (where XX is the version of Abacus) installer on their workstaiton, rather than the server. This will install a copy of ADS on their workstation which will conflict with the server.
To resolve this issue, the machine on the LAN that has the duplicate installation of Advantage will need to be identified.
Once it is found, do one of the following:
- Uninstall Advantage Database Server on the offending machine.
- Open Programs & Features in Windows (or Apps & Features in Windows 10).
- Highlight Advantage Database Server for Windows, and click Uninstall.
- Disable the Advantage Database Server service. This allows it to be re-enabled without reinstalling Advantage if needed later.
- Open Services in Windows.
- Right-click Advantage Database Server, and click Properties.
- Change Startup type to Disabled.