Before You begin
The computer you are installing on must meet the minimum server requirements:
- Windows Server 2012 Service Pack 2 or newer, or if installing on a workstation Windows 10 Professional or newer.
- 8GB RAM minimum, recommend single SQL instance per server.
- Antivirus programs should not scan SQL files or OfficeTools by CARET Server Component files.
The server installer is hard coded to install on the system drive (default drive of (C:), if another drive is preferred, SQL Express will need to be manually downloaded from Microsoft's website. Please contact OfficeTools by CARET Technical Support for further information regarding installation.
Download and launch OT_Server_Install.exe
Once extracted, it will install Microsoft SQL 2017 Express & Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (if required).
- This may require a reboot of the server after installation is complete.
The following ports are typically only required to be input if you are using Windows Firewall.
1. Obtaining the Unique Dynamic Port
Each installation of SQL chooses a different dynamic port.
Open the start menu and select SQL Server 2017 > SQL Server Configuration Manager
- If it is not listed you can launch it from the Start Menu by typing 'sqlservermanager14.msc'
- Expand SQL Server Network Configuration and select Protocols for NORTH40SYSTEMS
- Double-click TCP/IP
- Select the IP Addresses Tab and scroll all the way to the bottom
- Note down the TCP Dynamic Port
2. Creating Windows Firewall Rules
Open Windows Firewall and select Advanced Settings
- Then select Inbound Rules and New Rule…
- Select Port and input the Dynamic Port you noted down earlier as well as ports 1033, 1059, 1433, 1434.
- Ensure Allow the connection is selected (Under Outbound this option is not selected by default)
- You can name the rule anything you want but we normally use OT TCP/ OT UDP
Please note: This will need to be done for each TCP and UDP under Inbound and Outbound rules.