- Switch FTP to Passive Mode
- Open AbacusLaw without any Startup Windows
- Configure your Firewall(s)
- Defer Downloading the Update Catalog
If your AbacusLaw freezes when starting up, and never seems to finish, the steps below may help you fix the issue.
Switch FTP to Passive Mode
Sometimes the slow initialization is due to AbacusLaw having difficulty contacting the registration and update server to download a new update catalog. A small settings change that can be made in a configuration file can often speed this up.
- Open File Explorer in Windows.
- In the address bar, type %localappdata%
- From the directory that it takes you to, navigate to the VirtualStore\Windows folder.
- Open lawwin.ini.
- If Windows asks you to specify a program to use to open the file, click More apps and choose Notepad.
- At the top of the file, add the text as it appears in the screenshot below.
- Save the file.
- Close and re-open AbacusLaw, and verify if the issue is resolved.
Open AbacusLaw without any Startup Windows
Sometimes AbacusLaw is unable to open a window that it is trying to display a startup (typically, this is the Calendar).
To force Abacus to not display any windows at startup, close Abacus, then hold Shift on your keyboard as you launch it.
If Abacus still freezes, move on to the next section. If Abacus loads successfully when you do this, try opening the Calendar. In the case that Abacus freezes again after attempting to open the Calendar, try reindexing:
- Have all other users log out of all Abacus software: AbacusLaw, Abacus Accounting, Abacus MessageSlips, and Outlook (if they are using the Outlook add-in).
- Try re-opening AbacusLaw from your workstation the same way as before (holding Shift on your keyboard).
- Navigate to File > Utilities > Reindex.
- After reindexing has completed, try opening the Calendar again, and verify that the issue is resolved.
Configure your Firewall(s)
If Abacus is still unable to initialize after doing the above steps, speak with your IT or system administrator about your firewall configuration.
Abacus communicates with the registration server located at aaus.abacuslaw.com over TCP port 8007. A firewall policy may be blocking this communication, causing the initialization issue.
Communication can be blocked by the firewall on your network router as well, not just any software firewalls you have installed. If your office shares the building with other offices, a router used by the building may be blocking the communication.
If this is the source of the issue, you may be able to temporarily defer the communication and allow access to Abacus until the firewall issue can be resolved. Follow the steps below to do so.
Defer Downloading the Update Catalog
- Open lawwin.ini (following steps 1-4 from Switch FTP to Passive Mode).
- Find the field named LastNag under the Updater heading.
- A date should appear next to this field in the format of YYYYMMDD. Change this date to a date a few days in the future (e.g. if today's date is 12/19/2017, enter 20171222, so that the date will be changed to 12/22/2017).
- If the LastNag field does not exist in your lawwin.ini, create it, and perform the above steps.
This will defer re-downloading the update catalog until after the date entered. Until this date passes, you will not get notified of any Abacus software or practice pack updates available.