These instructions show how to create a clean installation of AbacusLaw by CARET then restore your data into it. This article can be useful to ensure that any unnecessary files are no longer in the Abacus folder (reducing disk space usage), and it may resolve some persistent technical issues.
Clear Existing AbacusLaw by CARET Connections and Backup AbacusLaw by CARET
- Ensure all users are logged out of AbacusLaw by CARET, Abacus Accounting, Abacus MessageSlips, and Outlook (if they use the Abacus Outlook Add-in).
- Log into the desktop on the AbacusLaw by CARET server.
- Open the Advantage Configuration Utility and click Stop Service.
- Open Computer Management. Computer Management can be found within Administrative Tools.
- Navigate to System Tools > Shared Folders > Open Files. Select all entries that start with your Abacus directory path (e.g., C:\Abacus…), right-click, and click Close file.
- Inside Advantage Configuration Utility, click Start Service.
- Log into AbacusLaw by CARET. Navigate to File > Utilities > Backup > Backup. Choose the Destination directory to which you want to save the backup. All other options can be left at default.
Reinstall AbacusLaw by CARET
- Disable any antivirus or anti-malware software running on the server, as they may interfere with the installer.
- Run the latest ADS AbacusLaw by CARET installer.
- Follow the installation prompts.
- AbacusLaw by CARET and Abacus Accounting may open at differing points and ask you to enter an initial login and an initial timekeeper. You can enter any information in these prompts, but it will be irrelevant after your database is restored.
Restore the AbacusLaw by CARET Database
Restore Other AbacusLaw by CARET Folders
Also restore the following folders from within your old Abacus folder:
- The default location where any AbacusLaw by CARET saved documents are stored. Skip this if you do not save documents here.
- This is where PDF copies of posted bills in Abacus Accounting are stored. Skip this if you do not use Abacus Accounting.
- This contains the saved MSG files for any emails that you have linked to AbacusLaw by CARET. Skip this if you do not link emails to names/matters using the Abacus Outlook Add-in.
Abacus\data01\Forms (replace data01 with the name of your data folder, if different).
- This contains the form files used in your Forms Library.
Verify the Abacus Share
This can be skipped if AbacusLaw by CARET is only used on the “server.”
- Right-click on the new Abacus folder within File Explorer in Windows and click Properties.
- Switch to the Sharing tab.
- If the folder is not already shared, click the Share button.
- In the window that appears, add the group “Everyone” (or “Users”), and ensure that they are provided Read/Write permission level.
- Click Share.
- Ensure that the name of the share is the same as the previous Abacus share. Otherwise, each workstation will need to be remapped to the new share name.