For instructions on how to add a field to your screens in the first place, please read this article: How to Add a New Field to a Name or Matter Screen.
Would you like to both require a field to be filled in when your users are adding a name or matter record, and display an error message to them if that field is not filled in? Read on for instructions.
To determine what screen you need to edit:
- Open a matter record that uses the screen that you would like to modify.
- Click the Window menu and hover over or click the Screens menu option. The code for the screen being used is displayed in the lower left-hand corner of the window.
- Click Select a Screen (browse)
- Screens can also be accessed at File > Setup > User-Defined Screens.
- Highlight the relevant screen, and click Edit. The Screen Designer appears.
Edit the field:
- Right-click on the field that you would like to make required.
- The Field properties window appears. In the Valid condition field, enter the following expression: if (!empty(Value), .T., ErrBeep(“message”)).
- In the above, message is the text that you want to appear on the error message when it is displayed. Ex: ErrBeep(“Opened date cannot be empty”).
- Click Done on all open windows..
- Close any matter windows that you had open, then try adding or editing a matter record which uses the screen that you modified, to verify that the functionality is working.
Article is closed for comments.