Smart Screens give Abacus the ability to automatically change the appearance of windows based on the type of name or matter displayed. For example, you might design a screen that is applicable to divorce cases. You would not want to use this screen when dealing with all matters – it would have fields that did not fit other cases. If you assign this screen to a DIVORCE case code, then every time you select to work with a divorce matter, the screen designated for divorce will be used to design the Matter window.
To enable the Smart Screen feature, you must assign codes to screens. You can assign a Name screen to Class codes or a Matter screen to Case codes.
- From the Screens window, select the screen to which you want to assign a code or codes.
- Click Assign Codes. The Valid CLASS Entries window appears if you are working with a Name screen; the Valid WHAT Entries window appears if you are working with a Event screen; the Valid CASECODE Entries window appears if you are working with a Matter screen.
- Select the code or codes you want to assign to the screen and click OK.
You can also assign a record directly to a screen, regardless of type. To do this, with the record open, select Window > Screens > Select a Screen. Select the screen you want to assign and click OK.
Opening the Screens Window
You can open the Screens window in one of two ways:
- Select File > Setup > User-defined Screens and select the type of screen you want to work with (Name, Event or Matter).
- Select File > Setup > User Preferences.
- The User Preferences window appears.
- Select the Appearance tab.
- Under Screens, click the button for the type of data entry screens you want to manage (Name, Event, or Matter).
- Select the screen you would like to use as a default.
Article is closed for comments.