The process of moving your OfficeTools database from one server to a new or different server is called a migration.
Prior to starting the Migration Process, please read through our System Requirements:
OfficeTools System Requirements
The following steps must be followed to avoid data loss. These steps should be performed while the OfficeTools Workspace application is not in use.
- On the new server, install the current version of OfficeTools Server Install.
Note: The installation path retaining the default settings would alleviate the need to set up a custom configuration on the server & per workstation.
- Open the OfficeTools Backup Utility, BackupSettings.exe, on the old server, if this is not pinned to your desktop this can be found under the root file, our default root file is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\OfficeTools\Database Backup
- Make note of the file path displayed in the backup locations field.
- Click Backup Now.
- Locate the following services on the old server under the application Services and disable them:
SQL Server (NORTH40SYSTEMS)
OfficeTools AutoReminder Serivce
OfficeTools Backup Service
OfficeTools Exchange Service
OfficeTools Otpweb Service
OfficeTools Service Host
Note: To disable the services: Right-click on the service and select Stop. Then right-click on the service again, select properties. Change the startup type to 'Disabled' and select Apply and Okay.
- Copy the .bak file created with the OfficeTools Backup Utility to the new server.
Note: The recommended location to place or unzip the .bak file in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.NORTH40SYSTEMS\MSSQL\Backup
- On the new server install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, SSMS.
- Open SSMS and connect to OfficeTools NORTH40SYSTEMS instance by:
At the Connect to Server Window select servername\NORTH40SYSTEMS, where "servername" is the name of your server, you may need to browse for this.
For Authentication select Windows Authentication and then Connect
- Once you have connected to the NORTH40SYSTEMS instance you will restore the database by:
On the tree to the left expand Databases
Right-clicking on OfficeTools Pro and select Task > Restore> Database
- Once the restore window pops up, under Source select Device and select the Ellipses, ..., and browse for the backup file previously copied from the old server.
- Under Backup Media Type select File and click Add.
- Select the .bak file and click OK.
- Ensure the .bak file is listed in the Backup Media list and click OK.
- On the table on the left select Options.
- Under Restore Options check-in Overwrite the existing database (WITH REPLACE).
- Under Server Connections check Close Existing Connections to Destination Database.
- Click OK to execute the restore process.
- Close SQL Server Management Studio.
- Setup the server's firewall rules according to OfficeTools Server Installation Guide.
- Open OfficeTools Workspace on a workstation computer.
Note: You will be prompted to select a server.
- From the dropdown select servername\NORTH40SYSTEMS where "servername" is the name of the new server, and press OK.
- Copy the Documents Management folder from the old server to the new server's Document Management folder. Make sure all workstations are mapped to this folder exactly as they were on the previous server. I.e.: F:\data\clients docs. Failure to do so will result in all client files listed in the Documents section of OfficeTools to list as MISSING.
After migrating to the new server, please be sure to configure the OfficeTools Database Backup Utility to back up the database on a regular basis. See the instructions for creating a schedule on OfficeTools Server Installation Guide.
Article is closed for comments.