If you have leftover funds within a client's matter or if they overpaid, you can refund their retainers. Operating retainers can be done within the Invoices and Payments section by clicking on the +, while Trust retainers must be refunded by creating a New Trust Check.
Refund Operating Retainers
- Go to the Accounting section
- On the green action bar, click + sign and select Refund Retainer.
- The "Refund a Retainer" window will pop up. This window will show only matters and bank accounts that have a retainer balance.
Refund Trust Retainers
- Go to Banks and Registers, or use the Quick Add tool.
- Select New Trust Check.
- Select the Matter from the Dropdown menu. This will tell you how much the client has left in Trust.
- After filling in the details of the check, you can Save it or Save and Print it to send the check to the client.