Case Number or Names ID No Longer Increments on New Names/Matters
AbacusLaw has a feature that detects the last case number (if a matter) or ID number (if a name) used, and automatically increments this to the next number when you add a new name or matter. However, this automatic incrementing may be lost under certain circumstances (such as if a case is entered with a case number that doesn’t end in a number). This article explains how to regain the automatic incrementing feature if it is no longer occurring.
First, ensure that the incrementing feature is enabled.
- On the menu bar, select File > Setup > System Options.
- On the resulting window, there is a group of checkboxes on the center right under General. Ensure that Increment Names ID and Increment Case/File Number are checked.
Next, we will need to determine what the next number increment should be.
- Open your Names Browse (if it is names that have stopped incrementing) or your Matters Browse (if it is matters that have stopped incrementing).
- Click Index. On the new screen, highlight U_ID, then click Done. This will order the records in the order that they were created.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Names Browse list, and find the record with the highest number on it. Take note of this number.
- Add your next name or matter record as normal (by clicking Add from the browse window, or through an intake form), entering the next ID number or File/case # manually (i.e. the highest number we discovered in the previous step + 1).
- When you add the next name or matter record after this record, it should automatically fill in the next ID number or File/case # automatically.
Article is closed for comments.