Explains how to merge in Excel
The first thing that will need to be done is you will need to create a Excel folder under the \Abacus\v23\DataXX\Forms folder. (DataXX represents whatever data folder you are currently using it could be Data01, Data02 etc.)
- In Excel create a regular XLS form (97-2003 format) do not use the XLSX format native to Word 2007.
- Add a couple of merge fields. A good field to use would be as this is the primary name record.
- The ALF file used for the Excel merge follows the same format as the Word merge. The default ALF file is Default.alf.
- Open up a name record in the Abacus program.
- Click on the printer icon and then Form Generation and finally on Excel.
- Select the XLS file that you saved with your merge information.
The document will now open with data merged. The major difference between the Excel and the Word merge is there is no Insert Merge File button in Excel. To create the fields you will have to know which field you want to add into the form. If the field shows up blank then you have a correct merge field. If the field still has the formatting in it, then that is not a field that is contained in the ALF file.