This describes the various ways that you can apply credits or discounts to billing for specific matters.
If your goal is to write-off fees that you charged but are no longer expecting to receive, see: How Do I Do Write-Offs?
Apply a One-Time Credit/Discount
- Navigate to Billing > Costs & Adjustments, or click the Costs & Adjustments icon on the toolbar.
- Click Add.
- Enter the Date of the credit and Matter Number that you would like to apply it to.\
- Click the Lookup button next to Client Exp. Code to view the Client Expense Codes browse.
- If you have not already added a Client Expense Code for discount or credit, click Add.
- Enter a Client Expense Code (a 2-3 digit code), e.g. DIS, and a Description (this is how it will appear by default on the bill), e.g. Courtesy Discount.
- Set Type of Code to Fee.
- Click Done.
- Double-click your newly-created Client Expense Code.
- Enter the Amount, and change the Description if desired (this will be what will appear on the bill).
- Change Debit/Credit to Credit.
- If you do not want the client to see the discount or credit on their next bill, change Bill Typeto Billed. This will cause the credit to affect their balance, but not appear as a line item on the bill.
- Click Save
- Highlight the newly-created entry and click Post.
Apply a Percentage Fee Discount
To apply a discount percentage to all fees charged on a matter permanently (or until you remove the discount percentage):
- Navigate to File > Setup > Company Preferences.
- Ensure Allow Fee Discount is checked on the left-hand side under Options.
- Navigate to Matters > Matters. Double-click the matter you would like to apply the fee discount to.
- Open the Rates tab.
- Open the Tax, Intt, Admin & Disc Rates sub-tab.
- Enter a Fee Discount %. Click Save, then Done.
The Timekeeper Rate Level can also be used to apply fee discounts in a more targeted way, only applying the discount to time tickets worked by certain timekeepers. See this article for more information: Setting Rate Levels, Rate Schedules, and Applying New Hourly Rates Globally