For a video demonstration of these steps, view this video.
Follow the steps below to set up Abacus Accounting to automatically transfer Trust for Bills.
- Navigate to File > Setup > Company Preferences.
- Make sure that Auto Trust Check Request upon posting bills is checked.
- Now when you run your bills Abacus Accounting will automatically apply trust money to the cost for the bill and generate a Trust Check for the amount. However the complete process is not automated. After your bill has been posted, you will need to print the Trust Check.
- When printing bills, ensure that Automatically Apply Trust to Bill or Stop for Manual Input is selected.
- Be sure to verify the trust transfers on EACH of your bills BEFORE completing this process. If any charges or trust balances are incorrect, these will need to be corrected before posting bills, or the trust transfer will be incorrect. Correcting these issues after posting bills and printing the trust check is SUBSTANTIALLY more difficult!
- When posting bills, ensure that the Vendor selected is correct (this should automatically be set to the record set as your Firm Vendor ID in Company Preferences).
- If you check the box for Automatically Process Trust Checks, Abacus Accounting will automatically take you to the screen to print your full trust check.
- If Abacus Accounting did not take you to the print screen automatically, navigate to Trust > Print Trust Checks.
- On the Check Selection tab, highlight the relevant check(s) and click Print.
- Select the correct Printer, Check Number, and Check/Post Date.
- If you will be transferring the money electronically, select ATM/Electronic Payments under Print Options.
- Check Summary Stub if more than 10 matters on a check if you want only one check number to be used by this check, and it has more than 10 matters on it. Otherwise, Abacus Accounting will print a voided check for every 10 matters after the first 10 so as to be able to use the check stub to continue the details of each matter that appeared on the check. If this is checked, a summary of the total on the check will be printed on a single stub.
- After the check has been printed, the final step is to receive that check as a payment. This will mark the charges as paid, and log that the money is received in your operating account.
- Navigate to Billing > Payments Received
- After the check is printed, client payments are automatically generated for each matter. Simply highlight the payment(s), and click Post