The following steps outline how to manually apply late fees to items that have not had the bill posted in the past.
- Calculate the late charges by hand.
- Navigate to Billing > Costs & Adjustments.
- Click Add in the upper-right.
- Select the Matter.
- Set the client expense code to LF (for Late Fee).
- Older versions of Abacus Accounting did not have an LF code. If you do not have an LF code, do NOT use the LAT code. Click Add and add a new code with a Type of Code of Late Charges selected. Do NOT give it the code LF, as this will cause issues when you update later.
- Enter a Description (optional).
- Leave the Debit/Credit, Bill Type and Write Off as-is and click Done.