This article describes how to track referral fees by matter. It explains how to set up the referral fee expense account and then how to enter referral fee transactions and view referral fee transactions for a matter.
- Part 1 Create a Referral Fee Expense Account
- Part 2 Create a Two-Step AP Entry
- Part 3 View the Referral Fees
Part 1 Create a Referral Fee Expense Account
Select File > Setup > Chart of Accounts.
- The Chart of Accounts Browse window appears. Click Add.
- The Chart of Account Maintenance – Adding a New Account window appears.
- For Account Number, enter a number that begins with “5”. Make sure it is unique.
- Enter a description.
- For Type of Sub-Account, highlight Referral Fee.
- For Level, highlight SubHeader.
- Click Done to save your changes.
Part 2 Create a Two-Step AP Entry
- Select A/P > Enter and Post Payables.
- The Enter/Post Payables window appears. Click Add.
- The Enter/Post Payables – Add window appears. Complete the General tab as usual. On the Firm Section tab, select the Referral Fee expense account, enter the amount, and select the matter this referral fee is associated with. Click Done to save your changes.
- Back in the Enter/Post Payables window, highlight the new entry and click Post.
- When you are ready to pay the referral fee, select A/P > Print AP Checks and print the check as usual.
Part 3 View the Referral Fees
You can also view referral fees through the Referral Fee productivity report (Reports > Productivity and select Referrals Report).
- Select Matters > Matters or click the Matters toolbar button. The Matters Browse window appears.
- Highlight the matter and click Open.
- The Matter Maintenance window appears. Click Referral Fee.
- The Referral Fee window appears listing referral fee transactions for the matter. Click Back to Matter to close the window and return to the Matter Maintenance window.