These instructions show how to create a clean installation of AbacusLaw, then restore your data into it. This can be useful to ensure that any unnecessary files are no longer in the Abacus folder (reducing disk space usage), and may resolve some persistent technical issues.
- Clear Existing AbacusLaw Connections, and Backup AbacusLaw
- Uninstall AbacusLaw
- Reinstall AbacusLaw
- Restore the AbacusLaw Database
- Restore Other AbacusLaw Folders
- Verify the Abacus Share
Clear Existing AbacusLaw Connections, and Backup AbacusLaw
- Ensure all users are logged out of AbacusLaw, Abacus Accounting, Abacus MessageSlips, and Outlook (if they use the Abacus Outlook Add-in).
- Log into the desktop on the AbacusLaw server.
- Open the Advantage Configuration Utility and click Stop Service.
- Open Computer Management. Computer Management can be found within Administrative Tools if you are unable to find it by searching for it on the Start Menu.
- Navigate to System Tools > Shared Folders > Open Files. Select all entries that start with your Abacus directory path (e.g., C:\Abacus…), right-click, and click Close file.
- Inside Advantage Configuration Utility, click Start Service.
- Log into AbacusLaw. Navigate to File > Utilities > Backup > Backup. Choose the Destinationdirectory to which you want to save the backup. All other options can be left at default.
- Open Programs & Features (or Apps & Features in Windows 10/Server 2016).
- Uninstall AbacusLaw Accounting Workstation, AbacusLaw Workstation, and AbacusLaw.
- If you are planning to install AbacusLaw to the same location on your server: Navigate to the location where AbacusLaw is installed (e.g. C:\Abacus). Rename the folder (e.g. to “AbacusOLD”).
If you do not install to the same location, you will need to re-create the network share so that the workstations will be pointed to the new location.
- Disable any antivirus or anti-malware software running on the server, as they may interfere with the installer.
- Download Abacus and run the file on the server.
- If you are not currently running the latest version, this installer will also update your database to the latest version.
- Follow the installation prompts.
- AbacusLaw and Abacus Accounting may open at differing points and ask you to enter an initial login and an initial timekeeper. You can enter any information in these prompts (it will be irrelevant after your database is restored).
Restore the AbacusLaw Database
- Follow the instructions here to restore your AbacusLaw database: How to Backup and Restore
Restore Other AbacusLaw Folders
Also restore the following folders from within your old Abacus folder:
- The default location where any Abacus saved documents are stored. Skip this if you do not save documents here.
- This is where PDF copies of posted bills in Abacus Accounting are stored. Skip this if you do not use Abacus Accounting.
- This contains the saved MSG files for any emails that you have linked to AbacusLaw. Skip this if you do not link emails to names/matters using the Abacus Outlook Add-in.
- Abacus\data01\Forms (replace data01 with the name of your data folder, if different).
- This contains the form files used in your Forms Library.
Verify the Abacus Share
This can be skipped if AbacusLaw is only used on the “server.”
- Right-click on the new Abacus folder within File Explorer in Windows, and click Properties.
- Switch to the Sharing tab.
- If the folder is not already shared, click the Share button.
- In the window that appears, add the group “Everyone” (or “Users”), and ensure that they are provided Read/Write permission level.
- Click Share.
- Ensure that the name of the share is the same as the previous Abacus share. Otherwise, each workstation will need to be remapped to the new share name.