The Abacus Outlook Add-in only provides full functionality if your email is configured to use the POP or Exchange protocols. Link and Send functionality is not supported on the IMAP or MAPI protocols. All sent emails will need to be linked manually via the toolbar afterward on these protocols.
The Abacus Outlook Add-in is not compatible with 64-bit versions of Microsoft Outlook or Windows Store versions of Microsoft Outlook.
The following explains how to install the Abacus Outlook Add-in. It is the driver behind the e-mail integration features with Microsoft Outlook that are provided in AbacusLaw. It enables the following features:
- Linking sent or received emails to name and/or matter records in AbacusLaw. This allows reviewing the email history related to a case or contact directly within the record in AbacusLaw.
- Billing for time spent on emails by creating a time ticket in Abacus Accounting.
- Emailing documents, events, or other records from AbacusLaw.
- Generating emails using quick form templates in AbacusLaw, then creating the email message in Outlook.
- Emailing bills from Abacus Accounting using Outlook.
The Outlook add-in enables all EMAIL integration with Outlook. Abacus to Outlook Sync (where names and events are synced with Outlook's contact book and calendar) does not require the Outlook add-in, nor rely on it to function.
Enable the Outlook Add-in in AbacusLaw
- Look in the bottom right corner of your AbacusLaw window. Click on the Outlook icon.
- Click Setup.
- Click Outlook Add-in Setup.
- Click Enable the Add-In.
- Enter the User ID assigned to Outlook (this should be the ID of the user who logs in on this workstation).
- Change In Outlook, when sending an email show the “Link to Abacus” window to Never, if desired.
- Always means that, every time an email is sent, the add-in will display the Link to Abacus prompt, allowing the email to be linked to a name and/or matter.
- Never means that the Link to Abacus prompt will never be shown on sent emails. Emails will have to be linked from the Sent Items folder afterward using the toolbar, if needed. This is the best option if the client doesn't link most sent emails.
Enable the Outlook Add-in in Outlook
After the add-in has been enabled in AbacusLaw, the next step is enabling it in Outlook.
- Launch Outlook.
- Outlook should enable the Abacus Outlook Add-in automatically. To verify, check if there is a tab on the toolbar at the top named Abacus.
If you see a message at the top that indicates: A problem was detected with an add-in and it has been disabled (Outlook 2013 and up only):
- Click View Disabled Add-ins…
- In the window that appears, find the listing for Abacus Outlook Addin, and click Always enable this add-in.
If you do not see the tab on the toolbar, the add-in may need to be enabled manually.
The instructions below are for Outlook 2016, and may be slightly different on other Outlook versions.
- Navigate to File > Options.
- On the window that appears, click Add-ins on the left-hand pane.
- Check the Add-ins list. Make sure that Abacus Outlook Add-in does not appear under Disabled Application Add-ins.
- If it does, switch Manage to Disabled Items. Click Go…
- Highlight AbacusOLaddin on the list, and click Enable.
- Switch Manage back to COM Add-ins. Click Go…
- Check Abacus Outlook Addin, and click OK.